The Biochemical, Environmental, and MOlecular Research in Engineering (BEMORE) Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU) Site will prepare students to address knowledge gaps, develop new technologies, and bring unique perspectives to complex problems in biochemical and environmental engineering and science.
Students that join the BEMORE REU Site will gain the interdisciplinary knowledge, skills, and training to address a variety of grand challenges, including antibiotic resistance, sustainable plastic replacements, smart polymers, urban air quality, bio-based sensors, and more. After their summer experience at UMBC, students will “be more”
- prepared to conduct interdisciplinary research
- confident in their abilities as early-career researchers
- equipped with the discipline-specific and interdisciplinary knowledge and skills needed to address grand challenges
- capable of communicating their work to various audiences and stakeholders
- informed about career options in their current field and complementary fields
- connected to mentors and other scientists/engineers who can provide career advice and success strategies
The BEMORE REU program is supported by the National Science Foundation Award (#2050728). Any opinions, findings, and conclusions or recommendations expressed by the BEMORE participants are their own do not necessarily reflect the views of the National Science Foundation.